.

.

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Halloween

This will be my 7th Halloween with diabetes, and I have some things that I’ve learned over the years in regard to this holiday.

Candy is one of the main factors of Halloween, for sure. This can be hard for people with diabetes, because its high sugar content makes it hard for insulin to catch up and often leads to blood sugar spikes. I do love Reese’s Pieces, so what I used to do with my friends was go trick or treating with them normally and then go back to my house to trade pieces. I’d always trade for non-edible treats (i.e. pencils or toys) and a few pieces that I did want. I then would count the leftover pieces and trade with my mom (i.e. 10 pieces for a dollar or 20 for 30 minutes of TV time). These trades were very important to me; my mom knew that the candy would be tempting for me and would most likely end in a blood sugar spike but also didn’t want to make me feel different, and she succeeded in avoiding both of these. Also, she never told me I couldn’t go trick or treating! When all of my friends went, I was allowed to too. This didn't make me feel any different than my friends.

It takes a little bit more testing (walking and excitement make me go low, adrenaline from being scared and possible candy eating make me go high), but it was manageable and very important to me.  I am no different than other people and I can do anything, but it was better for me to avoid the candy and take the trade instead.

Holidays centered around eating have always been harder; when someone pulls out the cranberry sauce, candy corn, or pumpkin pie, I always get a little nervous. However, part of growing up with diabetes is learning the importance of managing yourself around these foods. Of course you can eat what you want, however quantity and control are the names of the game.

My mom helped me so much to instill good habits in myself so that I knew not to go overboard with sugar and so that I always bolused myself for however much I was going to eat. And, of course, this can be very frustrating for little guys who just want to eat candy like their friends, I know it was for me the first Halloween after the diagnosis. However, my parents stocked a bowl full of weird spooky toys, decks of cards, whistles, balls, and other little items that I had full reign of. Little trades and distractions like these helped me out a ton!

It’s also important to communicate with school during the holidays; Halloween parties can be tough when they’re stocked with punch, candy, and other sugary snacks. Recently, my AP chemistry teacher made punch with dry ice for the class and, remembering I have diabetes, made me my own little cup of sugarless punch, which was one of the most touching things that a teacher has ever done for me.

In addition, for me, it helped to place more emphasis on the non-food parts of Halloween, like spending time with friends, exploring my neighborhood, wearing cool costumes, and watching scary movies. So, although Halloween can be tough for people with diabetes, it can definitely be a safe, fun holiday.

Happy trick or treating!


1 comment:

  1. There are some natural remedies that can be used in the prevention and eliminate diabetes totally. However, the single most important aspect of a diabetes control plan is adopting a wholesome life style Inner Peace, Nutritious and Healthy Diet, and Regular Physical Exercise. A state of inner peace and self-contentment is essential to enjoying a good physical health and overall well-being. The inner peace and self contentment is a just a state of mind.People with diabetes diseases often use complementary and alternative medicine. I diagnosed diabetes in 2010. Was at work feeling unusually tired and sleepy. I borrowed a cyclometer from a co-worker and tested at 760. Went immediately to my doctor and he gave me prescriptions like: Insulin ,Sulfonamides,Thiazolidinediones but Could not get the cure rather to reduce the pain but bring back the pain again. i found a woman testimony name Comfort online how Dr Akhigbe cure her HIV  and I also contacted the doctor and after I took his medication as instructed, I am now completely free from diabetes by doctor Akhigbe herbal medicine.So diabetes patients reading this testimony to contact his email     drrealakhigbe@gmail.com   or his Number   +2348142454860   He also use his herbal herbs to diseases like:SPIDER BITE, SCHIZOPHRENIA, LUPUS,EXTERNAL INFECTION, COMMON COLD, JOINT PAIN, EPILEPSY,STROKE,TUBERCULOSIS ,STOMACH DISEASE. ECZEMA, PROGENITOR, EATING DISORDER, LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION,  DIABETICS,HERPES,HIV/AIDS, ;ALS,  CANCER , MENINGITIS,HEPATITIS A AND B,ASTHMA, HEART DISEASE, CHRONIC DISEASE. NAUSEA VOMITING OR DIARRHEA,KIDNEY DISEASE. HEARING  LOSSDr Akhigbe is a good man and he heal anybody that comes to him. here is email    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    and his Number +2349010754824

    ReplyDelete