.

.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Being Prepared as a Teen

Preparedness is important for everything; everyone has heard the idiom “hope for the best and prepare for the worst.” This phrase especially pertains to diabetes. Hope for an A1C of 6, a blood glucose of 120, never running out of strips, never having to use a glucagon, etc., but remember it’s important to prepare for anything. 

As a teenager, I have to admit that I'm sometimes less prepared than I was when I was younger because I’m juggling more things and I am more familiar with my body, but that is not a smart way to manage my health. A couple of weeks ago on my way to a volleyball tournament over an hour away, I realized when I got there that I had 20 units in my pump and I’d left my kit at home. It was going to be at least a seven hour tournament, I would be playing volleyball for most of it, and I would have to eat something at some point. Thankfully, my mom got a kit from Walgreens before I started playing and I had enough insulin to get me through the tournament, but I learned valuable aspects about being prepared. I didn't have anything in my bag for a situation like this. 

Now, after being through this experience, I carry extra pump supplies, an extra bottle of strips, tabs, the little kit from Walgreens, and a bottle of insulin in my sports bag just in case. And, for school, I have a similar bag in my backpack. I also double check to make sure my kit is with me if I’m going somewhere. So, although it is usually not necessary to bring everything and the kitchen sink, it is reassuring to know I am prepared for anything when I leave the house. 

Being prepared for everyday life is important, but it is also important to be prepared in case of an emergency situation. You can read more about being prepared for an emergency situation diabetes.org

No comments:

Post a Comment